Friday, September 23, 2011

Curb Your Inner Creativity



Creative: cre-a-tive. Adjective.
     1. To make or bring into existence something new.
     2. To produce through imaginative skill.
     3. To produce or bring about by a course of action or behavior.

While perusing The 99% the other day, I came across a fantastic article about developing your creative practices. To begin, if you do not read The 99%--start now! Their website's catch line will have you at hello, "It's not about ideas. It's about making ideas happen."

I am all about making things happen--if there was a cult about making ideas happen, I would totally be a card carrying follower.

Being creative is something that was instilled in me at an early age--having the freedom to rearrange my room, reading fairy tales and books that took you to distant and exotic locations, being exposed to the arts and theater, etc. And I truly find that, in my current life (and the retail universe), being clever and innovative is second nature and almost mandatory.

Check out this stimulating article about the direct correlation between relaxation and creativity--chucked full of insight from Brian Eno:






As for the Two Gals, we both find that the major prolific moments and thoughts come at night. We both religiously keep a notebook on our bedside tables and jot down everything and anything that may come to us.

The majority of my best ideas have come from this notebook...


When do you find you are the most creative? What spurs your creativity? How do you curb your inner creativity?

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff. I also keep a pad and pen on my bedside table. For some reason, I often get my best ideas as I'm winding down and getting ready to go to sleep. Gotta write 'em down because I'll never remember them if I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get my creative ideas 1. first thing in the morning and 2. and last thing at night. In the morning my head is empty at night my head is trying to process what happened during the day. Both times I need quiet and dim lighting, I lay in bed, close my eyes, say a little prayer of thankfulness, and just let myself daydream. From the daydreams come my creative ideas. Which I too write down or act on, as soon as possible. When I'm creative my output occurs fast and furious.

    ReplyDelete