Sunday, September 11, 2011

My Dead Neighbor's Teak Wood Squares

In the world of retail, I have found that you should never brush off any atypical ideas. Lucky for us, we do not have "corporate" sending floor sets or plan-o-grams--we get to combine all creative juices in a cauldron, stir, and create innovative and ingenious displays.

I will not lie, there are some occasions where I question our creative intent. Especially when I received a late night phone call from Jenny that started off with, "I'm bringing in my dead neighbor's 1970's teak wood squares for the front window."

I believe that I may reaction was, "I'm sorry, you are doing what? Teak wood and Trunkis?" Trunkis are one of the hottest kid novelty items on the market. Inventive, fun, eye catching, and vividly colorful. And, we are potentially going to be mixing them in with some elongated and rectangular teak squares that could be straight off the set of the Brady Bunch?

The day starts off my dismantling previous window display...





Looking at some reference guides Melissa and Doug supplied....



And then I ask the question I've been, no pun intended, dying to know: "How exactly did you acquire these vintage and archaic pieces?"

Two words...estate sale. For those of us who have the freedom to design store layouts as you please, estate sales are one of the best outlets to snag some awesome display fixtures and props--and at extraordinary prices! Can we say gross return on profit?

We then stirred the cauldron--mixing not only our shabby chic tables, the vibrant ride on suitcases, and the 1970's teak wood squares.








And the result....



An eye-catching front window that incorporates vintage pieces with brand new merchandise! An eclectic yet cool and spirited display!

Check out how this display was created...


To quote Willy Wonka, "Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple."

As it turns out...teak wood squares were our 2% butterscotch ripple!

3 comments:

  1. Darling display!! Love the video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two Gals and a ShopMon Sep 12, 06:21:00 PM 2011

    Thanks--having a fun product makes the creative juices flow so much better! And can I say, I would have totally LOVED a Trunki when I was a kid. I was actually thinking about bringing with me to Florida over Labor Day...just not too sure what the TSA agents would have to say!

    ReplyDelete