Sunday, March 18, 2012

"I Had No Idea it Was Saint Patrick's Day"


This was a direct quote from the valet guy as he pulled my car around last night...

My response: "Right, it's not today, it's tomorrow sir."  

Today is the day where most everyone can celebrate like they are Irish. Bust out the green, the beads, and the shot glass on a necklace!

I'm Scottish, have been to "the homeland," have an infinite/undying love for bagpipes, and everything tartan.

But every Saint Patrick's Day, we (meaning my entire family when I was a wee lass), partied like we were Irish. During said time when I was a wee lass, I was introduced to two things that remind me of St. Patrick's Day, no matter what the month or day.

The first is a completely zany movie entitled Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Netflix has it categorized as a "family, feel good" movie. In all honesty, it is a feel good movie--family, on the other hand, I'm not too sure about...

After hashing it out with my Mom today, it was decided that it teaches children the following: 1. How to survive in an Irish pub brawl. 2. The aftermath of what happens when you kidnap a leprechaun. And 3. Be afraid--very, very afraid of banshees.

Crucial life lessons, of course!

Cue Darby O'Gill and a leprechaun dance party...


The second is a song entitled "The Night that Paddy Murphy Died." My Grandfather adored this song--I can remember him singing it at any opportunity that presented itself. Any opportunity. At age 7, I knew the lyrics by verbatim--including the part where,"They put the bottle with the corpse to keep that whiskey cold." You know...normal things a 7 year old should know.

Great Big Sea - Night Pat Murphy Died


To my family back in the mitten, enjoy the Bay City parade and all the shenanigans that go along with it tomorrow--I wish I could be there! And to our friends, Happy St. Patty's Day from the Gals!!

1 comment:

  1. Cute post sweetie. Please don't forget your Callahan lineage which leads to much of the funk in our dysfunktion.

    ReplyDelete