Thursday, December 22, 2011

 Homespun Gifts
"Madge's Hot Mocha Cocoa"

Every year, during the holidays, I find myself in a dilemma. What kind of gift do I give our sales associates? It seems trivial--but you are purchasing a pretty vast amount of gifts, and for individuals with varying tastes and styles.

In the past I've purchased...
  • Unique coffee mug with Starbucks gift card - atypical.
  • Gift card - boring.
  • Scarves in assorted colors - gets pricey.
  • More gift cards - whole lots of boring.
I love receiving homemade gifts and goodies! Especially in today's economy, it makes me appreciate that someone spent time creating/making a gift, rather than going out to a large retail establishment and picking up something ordinary.

This year I came across a delicious hot cocoa recipe--added my own twist, espresso (because who doesn't love anything with coffee in it?), and made lovely gifts for our sales associates!

Madge's Hot Mocha Cocoa:

In 12 oz mason jars layer ingredients in the following order:
  • 4 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder.
  • 4 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
  • 2 tablespoons of espresso powder.
  • 4 tablespoons of powdered milk.
  • A pinch of salt (making sure to throw a bit over your left shoulder).
  • 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips.


I decided to add a bit of flair to my mason jars by tying small bow out of some red/white and green/white "floss" (yup the stuff you used to make friendship bracelets out of). And using an old school mailing tag, labeled each jar and on the back gave the simple instructions, "Makes two servings. Mix with hot water and enjoy!!"


A fabulous and tasty handmade gift--one that is a cinch to make and easy on the eyes, LOVE the layers!

1 comment: